Monday, November 03, 2008

My Last Stump Speech...

'Is that pledge pin? ON YOUR UNIFORM?'

Wow. Tomorrow (God willing) we elect a new President of the United States. At times, the last 8 years have seemed to last forever and, at others, move way too fast. If the last two elections and resulting administrations have taught us anything...it's to take nothing for granted and that you must GET OUT AND VOTE!

That said, for anybody who knows me and/or reads this blog on a semi-regular basis, it's pretty apparent who I will be voting for and who, if possible, would like you to vote for too. So, in an absurdest nod to the Joe the Plumbers and Tito the Builders out there supporting McCain/Palin...i'd like to present to you why I, EL the Famous, will be voting for Obama/Biden, using stereotypical characterizations of...ME:

EL THE COMIC BOOK GEEK

While GOP VP running mate Palin received the dubious distinction of landing on a 'Tales From the Crypt' cover, my man Barack received the endorsement of Image Comic's Savage Dragon, had a killer painting done of him as Superman by the legendary Alex Ross and, per the man himself at the Al Smith dinner: 'Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father, Jor-el, to save the planet Earth.' Change you can (truly) believe in!

EL THE MUSIC NERD

B is a huge Stevie Wonder nut and you can also find copious amounts of The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Earth, Wind & Fire, Dylan, Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker on his iPod. Conversely, i'm not sure McCain even owns or knows how to work an iPod. Throw in the all-important Springsteen endorsement and the possibility of hearing Wilco perform at the inaugural ball...'signed, sealed, delivered, i'm yours!'

EL THE HIPSTER DOOFUS

The now iconic print by Shepard Fairey of OBEY was a sign of things to come. Numerous t-shirts in stores like Zumiez and Urban Outfitters...a slick looking vinyl action figure...appearances on both Colbert and the Daily Show...YouTube sensation 'Obama Girl'...all hit the pop culture sweet-spot and he didn't even have to wear an ironic rock tee or chunky glasses to do it!

EL THE OVER-PROTECTIVE/BASKET CASE FATHER

In all seriousness, I know we'll see several other presidents on my kid's road to adulthood...but I need to see a shift in policy today that doesn't feel like i'm selling them out tomorrow. Drastic changes in health care, global diplomacy, a reduction in the war-fueled deficit, a more affordable college education...the list goes on. I realize that things won't change overnight, but we cannot let them slip even further away. Plus, while Logan seems stuck on a write-in vote for Batman, Owen can recognize Obama from his picture, voice and even that seal he's been using in his campaign. Impressive.

Finally, I have chosen to vote for Barack Obama because i'm also EL THE ETERNAL OPTIMIST. I really, sincerely feel like this man (and his running mate) can deliver the CHANGE and HOPE he's hung his hat on. I really believe in him, what he's saying and, for the first time in my life, i'm genuinely inspired not just by the party line...but the candidate himself. I'm not looking for him to take care of me, but rather...the energy and empowerment he provides to make me want to take care of myself AND, equally important, others.


That is my two-cents. Take it or leave it, but...whatever you do, VOTE. Please, just VOTE. Peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sup im fresh here. I came accross this message board I have found It exceedingly helpful & it's helped me tons. I hope to give something back and help other people like its helped me.

Thank's, See You Later.

Anonymous said...

Hey im fresh to this, I came upon this message board I have found It extremely accessible & it's helped me tons. I hope to give something back & guide other users like its helped me.

Cheers, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

Hi-ya i am fresh here. I hit upon this forum I find It exceedingly accommodating and it has helped me loads. I should be able to contribute & support others like it has helped me.

Thanks a load, See You About.

Anonymous said...

Aloha im fresh on here. I came upon this website I have found It exceedingly useful & it has helped me out alot. I should be able to contribute and aid other users like its helped me.

Cheers, See You Around