Monday, November 17, 2008

Alright Already, Beam Me Up...


I've never considered myself a real 'Trekkie'...actually, not even a moderate one. Don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of watching reruns the original series as a youth and one cannot deny the cinematic excellence of 'The Wrath of Khan'. I probably watched a decent-sized handful of episodes of the 'Next Generation' as well, but could never really get into it...or the gaggle of spin-offs. All that said, I have a great appreciation for the franchise and everything it represents.

So, thusly, I wasn't really all that jacked up about J.J. Abrams-helmed 'Star Trek' re-set when it was initially announced...even the first trailer, focused on the construction of the USS Enterprise, (while a bit intriguing) didn't really do much for me. Well, seems trailer #2 debuted over the weekend in theatres and effectively changed my mind. I haven't gone so far as donning plastic Vulcan ears or brushing up on my Klingon...but i'm effectively stoked.

Plain and simple, it looks like a good time. I like how the story will intertwine a sort of 'origins' focus on some of the key crew members w/ a battle w/ some pissed off Romulans from the future, looking to effectively re-write Starfleet history. Som of the casting choices are kind of fun... Zachary Quinto as Spock...Simon Pegg as Scotty...John Cho as Sulu...w/ a nice fat cameo from the original/'older' Spock (Leonard Nimoy), who has come from the future to provide some assistance.

Anyhow, the flick won't make the warp from the final frontier to your local theatre until 8-May-2009...but you can set your phasers to 'stun' and peep the bootleg of the trailer now (since they've seemed to postpone the HD online version until tomorrow):

No comments: