Monday, August 25, 2008

Everybody Walk the Dinosaur

I know. Like I really needed to get into another show outside of my existing 'Must-See TV' diet. As i've documented here, it's kind of funny that the BBC sci-fi show i'm really getting into has nothing to do with the program my blog takes it's title from. I just can't seem to line up my time in front of the telly w/ the new Dr. Who series...but thanks to my cable On-Demand service, i've been able to become a fan of another time-travel related show of their design.

'Primeval' started airing on BBC America on 9-Aug, airing every Saturday night at 9P CST. The show, is based around a team of scientists tasked with investigating the appearance of temporal time anomalies across Great Britain...weird rips in space and time, that are allowing both prehistoric and futuristic creatures to enter the present and really fuck shit up.

It's silly fun really, but the FX actually have ended up looking pretty respectable. Throwing some additional intrigue into the mix, there looks to be some meatier story arcs involving certain folks using said anomalies to their own agenda...the main character's thought to be long-dead wife no less. The actors involved aren't anything revolutionary, but they are likable, do a decent enough job and sure as hell look good doing it.


All in all...if you dig sci-fi TV that you don't have to think too hard about, it's a worthwhile way to spend an hour. I had seen write-ups in some of the UK Sci-Fi rags about it clear back to it's premiere there in 2007, so I was kind of stoked to see it come here. BBC America is airing the six-episode Season 1 in the states now and I hope it does well...Season 2 ended in February abroad and Season 3 kicks off some time in early-2009.

As I said earlier, if you have Comcast, you can dial-up each new episode for free in their On-Demand section the day after it actually aired. Plenty of time to catch up if you are looking for something new...or old, depending on which side of the anomaly you're standing on. Preview below to set things up a little. Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Daphne Mays and I work for BBC America. I found you through this blog about "Primeval" and thought I'd get in touch. We're promoting the US premier of another awesome UK show called "Skins". It's been compared to "Gossip Girl" but really it's more like "My So-Called Life" or "Degrassi". It's a teen drama written by teens and young adults (average writer age is 22). We're working really hard to get the word out about the show, and we have a lot of great media to share. Since your readers are already interested in BBC America based on your previous post, we'd love it if you could post about the show, and include some of our exclusive content. Would you be at all interested in doing this? We have exclusive video interviews with the cast and exclusive photos that haven't been released to the press, so you'd definitely be giving your readers some inside information.

Here's a trailer for the show so you can have an idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAM3mcF2fqE

Please let me know if you'd like me to send you any of our assets, we would love to have your help in promoting this awesome show!

Daphne Mays
BBC America
skins.bbcamerica@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

As an old school fan of Who, must admit how impressed and into the new series I've been (overall the "reboot" stays true to the core of the old rickety show, while at the same time modernizes it!). This last series was QUITE excellent, along with new companion Donna Noble.

If you were ever an old school fan, which by the title of yer site I'll assume you were, you're gonna love the new series (just don't expect it to be completely like the old one....give it a chance and it's rewarding on a lot of different levels....MOST of the time anyway. There's still plenty of chaff each season!).

Will have to check Primeval soon! Frankly tho, my next fix now that I've been through all the new Who online (can't stand it edited and with commercial breaks as Sci-Fi airs it over here), it's the new and final season of The Shield that's got me panting!

EL FAMOUS said...

Daphne Mays? Weren't you the English chick on 'Fraiser'? All kidding aside, i've seen the ads for 'Skins'...looks good, but think i'm a tad outside the demographic. Good luck w/ that though!

Jesus, absolutely a HUGE nerd over the classic Who...especially the Tom Baker years. I have peeped a couple of the 'reboot' episodes w/ both of the new Doctors and really have loved it. I'll probably break down and Netflix each season while they are on hiatus. Never have got into the 'Shield', but I hear nothing but good things...again, too much TV and too little time.