Monday, August 13, 2007

VAMPIRE WEEKEND


'Vampire Weekend'

The blogosphere's latest indie band du jour, Vampire Weekend sounds nothing at all like their name would suggest. You'd think you're getting Bauhaus and end up w/ a catchy-as-fuck hybrid of the Talking Heads and Paul Simon circa 'Graceland'.

Their EP is up on iTunes and, as stated, runs the gambit on sound. 'Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa' makes me want to bust out my dashiki, put some diamonds on the soles of my shoes and throw down a few moves that haven't seen the light of day since the Phish concert I attended back in 1997. 'Oxford Comma' is a nice little ditty complete w/ clever lyricism, a Charlie Watts-esque drum fill and a bouncy Hammond. The track that hooked me though, was the Kinks/Police sounding number 'A-Punk'.

I'm sensing a second-coming of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Spin them in the sample area yourself to see what you think. It's hook-laden as hell and I dig it better than anything by CYHSY, that's what I think.

No comments: