Thursday, August 02, 2007

STARS


'In Our Bedroom After the War'

Stars became critical darlings w/ 2003's 'Heart' and then further cemented their indie kid cred w/ 2005's 'Set Yourself on Fire'...both enjoyable albums, but they didn't really hook me until this one. Comparisons to New Order, The Smiths and (at times) Belle & Sebastian are pretty much on the money, but I like the fact they get a little more aggressive than any of those artists on this release. At times, they flat out rock.

I dig the various electronic flourishes that are peppered about, but never overwhelm the strong moments of melodic pop rock on tunes like 'The Night Starts Here', 'Take Me to a Riot' and 'Bitches in Tokyo' (which you can check out in the sample box 'o' fun to the right). There are a few moments of blue-eyed soul that aren't bad, but don't hit me ala Spoon and a few tracks a little to torch-songy, but as a whole...the album is chock full of grade A material. May even grow on me more w/ a couple more listens...I hear the potential there and suggest you check it out for yourself when it drops on 25-Sep-07.

No comments: