Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Kanye's Turning Japanese

I really think so. First it was the straight-out-of-'Akira' video for 'Stronger' and yesterday I read that the cover artwork for 'Graduation' was being done by the great Takashi Murakami. Murakami founded the postmodern japanese art movement Superflat, that also includes AMBFAD favorite Yoshitomo Nara (amongst others). Just do a Google image search on his name and you'll see how crazy sick his work is.

I've stated before that i've never been that hardcore over Kanye and think he's a tad overhyped, but I do respect the fact he won't march to the same cookie-cutter drummer that most of his contemporaries do. He earns points for being a huge Murakami fan (his work w/ Luis Vuitton was the gateway)...an interesting article on the whole Asian influence, that specific relationship and more in the most recent issue of Complex magazine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only the album was going to be as awesome as the cover... I feel like Kanye puts forth just enough effort so he doesn't sound like the other commerical hip-hop artists and to get those of us who want more to get a little curious. A decent single off each record isn't enough to sway me. Keep trying bear suit guy.

EL FAMOUS said...

yeah, I hear that. he's definitely only hooked me on a few singles...only to leave me dissapointed w/ the rest of the album. funny enough, he actually had PB&J (from the post above this one) as his backing band for some big fest in Europe.

Anonymous said...

That PB&J record has been on repeat in our house for about two months now. Great stuff. I've heard his track using Young Folks. It's cool but mostly because the PB&J track is cool. Did you get the new Stones Throw email? Those QE shirts are sweet like candy or something.

Anonymous said...

Plus that Kanye guy needs to take some lessons from De La as far as skits go. Maybe skits should just be outlawed.

EL FAMOUS said...

oh man, I hadn't heard that kanye take on 'young folks'...pretty awful and, yes, nobody does a skit like de la/prince paul.