Friday, March 06, 2009

MORRISSEY

'Years of Refusal'

I've always gone in and out of being a Smiths and/or Moz fan, it really kind of comes and goes depending on my mood when I go for my trusty iPod. Lord knows I had my fair share of emo moments in High School, but I was (and continue to be) a pretty upbeat cat most of the time. That said, there are times when that trademark self-effacing croon over some outright blazing guitar just hits the spot.

The Mozzer's latest, 'Years of Refusal', doesn't disappoint in either department. Nothing different and revolutionary...just solid Morrissey. The sound remains the same, but the subject matter seems to have changed a touch. The lyrics are still rife w/ a chip planted on shoulder and witty tongue planted firmly in cheek...but there is a more middle-aged comfortability in being his lovable, miserable self peppered in as well. In fact, he has no issue w/ sending up said persona on several tracks ('You Were Good in Your Time' and 'That's How People Grow Up' being great examples).

Really, as has been the case throughout his career, there is a lot of really interesting juxtaposition between self-loathing and a brash confidence in his voice and the musical accompaniment all over this album. The opening track, 'Something is Squeezing My Skull', is just stellar and the most rocking tune about someone cutting themselves down i've heard in a while. Other favorites are the equally boisterous 'Black Cloud' and 'All You Need is Me', but (as stated earlier) the whole thing is solid as hell.

So, smile and cue up the AMBFAD jukebox to see what you think, you miserable sod! The album has been out for a few weeks, so don't mope...you can get it everywhere today. If anything, just buy it for the brilliant album cover...I laugh every time I see it.

No comments: