Wednesday, September 05, 2007

KANYE WEST


'Graduation'

*sigh* After being lured in and actually taking the hipster bait of Akira-inspired videos, Superflat album covers, Daft Punk samples, Peter/Bjorn & John mash-ups and, well, Zach Galifianakis...once I actually heard Kanye West's 'Graduation', I felt the same letdown that came w/ his past two releases. The hype-induced hangover made me feel like some wet-behind-the-ears college frosh waking up next to somebody I really had no desire to sleep with, er, listen to in the first place.

It's as I said before, I like the ethos of Kanye. I like that he doesn't follow the norm in how he carries himself amongst his contemporaries. I like that he attempts to do something different and more creative than the other hip-hop artists you actually hear on the radio. That said, aside from a few tracks here and there, i've never actually really liked his music all that much.

I shouldn't have been surprised when I had the same reaction to this release, but I really wanted to enjoy it. Things started out solid enough w/ the plaintive intro 'Good Morning' (great rhymes) and the synth-laden dancefloor burner 'Champion' and the hot-as-shit 'Stronger' that roped me into the whole damn thing. I get lost until 'Can't Tell Me Nothing' which is an enjoyable anthemic slow jam in a 'Jesus Walks Part 2' sort-of way. I lose interest again until the sunny-sounding, R&B bumper 'Glory' and the slightly-above-okay ode to remembering where you came from (Chi-town Represent!) duet w/ Chris Martin, 'Homecoming'.

Even the 5-6 tracks I actually dug, were more of an 'enjoyed on first listen but will likely never go back to' sort of way. I can honestly say the likelihood of me going back for seconds on this are slim to none...listening to too many Kanye tracks is like eating too may skittles, the sugary production makes me queasy. As rough as that review may come off, I do hope that he keeps trying to keep the hip-hop landscape interesting... because I really don't give a fuck about another 50 Cent album (cash in the 401K, Mushmouth).

Check out the leadoff track in the sample area and if you likey, buy the album when it drops next Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yep.