Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Now Departing Flavor Country...

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST MAY CAUSE BOREDOM, CYCLOPS-LIKE GROWTH OF AN ADDITIONAL EYEBALL, NIGHTSWIMMING, 75mph WINDS, THE ROCKING PNEUMONIA AND/OR THE BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU.

So, yeah, i've started down the path of trying to quit smoking. I've been thinking about it for years, just never took the initiative to actually make a plan and stick to it. Knowing that the cold turkey approach wasn't going to cut it, I paid a visit to the doctor and was prescribed something called Wellbutrin.

Now, for those of you aren't pharmacists, manic depressives or Courtney Love...Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant. I guess they discovered that one of the side-effects from taking it was an aversion to smoking and it was approved as a smoking cessation drug a few years back. Granted, SEIZURES are also a potential out of the myriad of 'possible' side-effects as well...so I have that going for me. Whee.

I started taking 1 pill a day on Monday and move up to two starting tomorrow. My quit date is actually this coming Tuesday, you're supposed to take this junk for a week prior. To be honest, i've had the pills for a few weeks and i've been a little effing scared to start taking them...I hate taking medicine. I'm really looking forward at doing my damndest to quit, but if this shit makes me go all Syd Barrett...i'll do it w/out the pharmacology.

You may be asking yourself: 'He's an accomplished smoker at it for almost 17 years, WHY QUIT?!' (or, conversely, you could be thinking: 'This blog sucks...I wonder if they have new pictures up at bustyfreckledasiansonspeed.com?'). Well, I have a pretty huge reason that i'll go into later...but, at the end of the day, I just hate being Lady Nicotine's bitch and want to try and do what I can to stick around for as long as possible. I can't bear to think about Mrs. Famous having to deal w/ something like that, she deserves so much better.

We'll just have to wait and see...(un)til Tuesday, smoke 'em if you got 'em and wish me luck. Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Man. I hope you can quit that bitch. For me, I am mostly a non-smoker, but I never have considered myself a quitter. For instance, if I want to have one, I will have one. If I go out with the boys, I will smoke. Thats just the way of things. But, mainly I don't let the shit get to me. So, I wish you luck and I hope you can whip that Bitch into submisson. Until Tuesday, "Smoke-up Johnny!"

JC

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I've been smoke-free for almost three years and it feels great. Wait until you realize how bad you smelled after smoking, it's pretty amazing.

I went cold turkey and fought a lot of urges - still do. When you get an urge, though, just tell yourself to hold on.

Now if we can only get you to quit publicly masturbating....