Friday, January 18, 2008

HELIO SEQUENCE


'Keep Your Eyes Ahead'

Well, only several weeks into the new year and I actually have an album (or two) to review. Luckily, the upcoming Sub-Pop release from Helio Sequence is an absolutely fantastic way to kick off 2008. Hope the rest of the year can keep up!

Anyhow, I actually just got into the band a little bit before Thanksgiving and their previous release, 'Love & Distance', had taken up some prime listening time since then. Said album, found the band evolving from a Radiohead/My Bloody Valentine-lite to more of an early U2/Cure w/ a twist of Postal Service type thing...more focus on well-structured compositions than an electronic wall of sound.

'Keep Your Eyes Ahead' continues down that path of more mature sound. While I really enjoyed the beautiful cacophony of 2001's 'Young Effectuals' and suggest checking it out, I think it's made me appreciate the craftsmanship found on the subsequent releases a bit more.

The opener, 'Lately', just soars...the chiming guitars and minimalist (but rock solid back beat) give way to additional aural flourishes that seem ready to explode into something massive at any time, but never does. The dark pop rolls on from there and at times, on the two tracks that follow, almost bounces...never truly danceable, but it grooves.

The glitch-folk of 'You Can Come to Me' and down tempo (but wonderful) balladry of 'Shed Your Love' offer a bit of a breather, before you are thrust headfirst into the musically jogging title track. The rest of the album continues to impress (especially the uplifting 'Hallelujah') until the final track, 'No Regrets'...not a brad track, but just a bit too campfire sing-songy to feel necessary in the overall context.

Bottom line, I always love it when I get my hands on a truly good album's worth of material by an artist...and this is one of those instances. I've heard they are great live as well, but for now...you can check out their latest recorded work on 29-Jan. Trust me, you'll fall in love with it...check out a sample to the left and you'll see what I mean.

No comments: