Friday, October 26, 2007

THE HIVES


'The Black & White Album'

I'll preface this review by saying that for me, a little bit of The Hives goes a long way. I mean, i've always enjoyed both their music and their ethos...just in small doses. Could it be that, while I enjoy it, the chunky, dirty brand of Swedish rock delivered in black and white uniforms is just too much for even me to handle?! Well...yeah...that seems to be the case.

That said, their latest release, 'The Black & White Album', is nothing less than a blast. Really fun stuff. The trademark punchy, buzz saw garage rock wrought on previous releases still flows through the album's veins on killer tracks like 'Square One Here I Come' and 'Hey Little World'.

Maybe it's just me, there seems to be an infusion of funk/disco touches on tunes like 'T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S.' and 'Giddyup' as well, that may be in part to some different producers that include both Pharrell and Jacknife Lee and/or thier work w/ Timbaland. Sometimes it works, sometimes...not so much. I like the tracks that lean a little bit on some new wave floursihes the most. 'It Won't Be Long' and the Tony Basil's 'Mickey' on steroids 'Try it Again' bring the fun in a major way, both gritty and polished at the same time.

While I love quirky, the Hives just don't do it well as far as i'm concerned. Tracks like 'A Stroll Through Hive Manor Corridors' and 'Puppet on a String' end up as disappointing filler after the first listen and leave you a little irked that they are taking space up on the record. Regardless, the album as a whole is still worth the listen...especially if you are looking for a good time.

As always, check out a taste in the sample area and, while it was released in the UK last week, buy the album when it's avail in the States on 17-Nov. Even more WTF?! than the video in the post previous...they are currently touring as openers for Maroon 5. Wow.

No comments: