Monday, June 04, 2007

VOXTROT


'Voxtrot'

Another bunch of indie darlings I was late to the dance on, the band Voxtrot initially caught my attention earlier this year w/ the title track from their mid-2006 EP, 'Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives'. Said EP ended up on a lot 'Best of '06' lists, but I didn't really heed the hype until much later. Hailing from the indie music mecca of Austin, TX, these kids seem to continue to build upon their sound and improve w/ every release.

The album kicks off w/ the excellent string-laden 'Introduction' that kind of crescendos into what the rest of the album has in store...a really fantastic multi-layered but less glossy version of 80's new wave for 2007. The band squeezes some wild sweeping sounds from the guitars and it meshes well w/ the keyboard flourishes w/out sounding as contrived as say...The Killers. Some of the chiming riffs found on standout tunes like 'Kid Gloves' and 'Firecracker' wouldn't sound out of place coming from a U2 album. It's the lyrics and vocal stylings of frontman Ramesh Srivastava that keep this album indie versus arena rock. I don't mean that as a diss either, as the duality of the wordplay/vocals w/ the big sounding guitars/drums make for a fantastic listen.

Like I said earlier, the album was released prior to me getting my review out and you can now purchase it by your normal means. A shoe-in for my 'Best-Of' list, I highly recommend picking this up.

No comments: