Thursday, February 08, 2007

TV Party



As stated in an earlier post, I only have a handful of 'Must-See TV' shows I watch religiously each week. NBC's 'Heroes' started back up a few weeks ago and is still going pretty strong. In fact, one could challenge it's actually picking up steam w/ Sylar's escape and the whole mommy/daddy thing w/ Claire (AKA THE Cheerleader). Not to over analyze, but the fresh take on the baggage that comes w/ someone finding out they have special capabilities you don't see in most comic-based films and TV, is what gives the show it's underlying charm. Much like my other favorite, ABC's 'LOST', the way that the characters are all interwoven into the crazy storyline is the other plus. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep the momentum going after the Summer break, but for now...still good stuff.

Speaking of 'LOST', the new season started last night and I wasn't disappointed. While I still refuse to miss an episode, the show has kind of slowed down a little. Part of the issue being, the large portion of the fall run focusing on the shit going down on the OTHER island w/ Jack, Sawyer and Kate. It's been cool getting a lot of insight into 'The Others' and all, but it's been at the sacrifice of the other gaggle of Lostaways and how they fit into the story as well. I read that the show's creative team has promised that they'll re-focus on what's happening outside of 'Other-ville' starting in a couple of weeks. That said, last night's episode was pretty action-packed and did throw a few nuggets our way...but you can never tell what's truth and what's a mind-game.

NBC is back to form w/ their Thursday night line-up. 'My Name is Earl' and the US version of 'The Office' are back to that Seinfeldian brand of quirkiness that just can't be forced. Both shows are creative as hell, have a strong ensemble cast and, most importantly, make me laugh. 'Scrubs' (in it's final season) and '30 Rock' are good too, but I usually get sucked into watching ABC's 'Grey's Anatomy' w/ Mrs. Famous during the same time slot. Funny enough, I should be annoyed w/ that show...but it ain't really that bad. Good schlocky fun, actually.

Outside of that, there really isn't much I have to watch...and yet I still find myself in front of the TV even when none of these shows are on. Digital Cable w/ 5 majillion channels to surf through will do that to you. I have actually found time to read a few books and will drop a triple-play Book Club post as soon as I finish the one i'm on right now. Until then...Peace!

No comments: